July 15, 2010

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1)The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I read a lot about this book that the radio show was kind of path-breaking and all. So, I bought the book. I am definitely not disappointed by the first part though I don't think it deserves all its adulation. Funny book,yes but not a timeless classic. It has some very very funny one-liners like where the author says " A number of monkeys from the other door are trying to give us a copy of Hamlet they wrote!" during the infinite improbability drive. It had me laughing for at least 10 minutes. The climax had me in splits when they find out why the attackers suddenly died( Marvin is an awesome character)
But these kind of gems of a joke are good enough pages apart but just enough to sustain your interest in the book. I started reading second one but it kind of became a routine jokes and I kind of lost interest after reading 50 pages.
Still, I strongly recommend the first in the series i.e. this book to all fans of sci-fi and comedy! A rare blend indeed.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment