January 26, 2009

How I tried to think about brain using my brain


I have always been attracted to the functioning of brain and the concept of Artificial Intelligence. Infact, my attraction to brain is what also led me into becoming a science student. I will try to put forward my own amateur views on AI/Brain. These are some ideas I developed or thought of when I had nothing to do.

I think Mankind has not understood the functioning of brain yet.It is a very interesting thing,this brain. It is made up of simple cells as any other organ in the body but have this remarkable quality of memory and thought process, particularly experience i.e., it not only has memory but analyses it and uses it in taking decisions in future, something like learning from experience.I think if we think of it in terms of known science,it has something like a feedback of memory. When we are supposed to make a decision, it has a number of options but it goes through our past experiences and tries to select one option.

The problem with AI as shown by various sci-fi movies is to have a machine think like a human.To make it possible,we should not only have virtually infinite memory for the machine but also a feedback system that will go through past memory(which I now call experience) and choose the best possible task from again virtually infinite options.Another problem here is, various brains choose various options which cant be achieved in machines(maybe given exactly the same bringing up from childhood may result in two persons making same decisions but it is never tested and subject to argument)Further, memory from brain's point of view can be a solid descreption of what happened to a very vague one like we sometimes say 'I think his name is rahul, or is it ramu?' Such a thing, I think, is not possible with a computer.It either knows what happened precisely or nothing at all.


When we see it from this point of view, we cannot stop ourselves from wondering at how marvellous the brain is!!How did some complex chemical reactions result in a thing which can not only THINK but also question the very existence of itself? We are trying to find out about brain using our own brains!I sometimes wonder if it is like trying to lift your own body which can definetely not happen.Maybe we have been mere spectators at the wonderous nature of brain and not able to find anything about how it is working because we are doing that using brain itself.Maybe we indeed are trying to lift ourselves...Maybe some other higher form of existence is required to explain the dilemma of brain..I hope that I understand it someday....

2 comments:

  1. welcome to the world of blogging.....Great start for your strong ideas on the very basics of our existence

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one da....
    but i always thgt tht if ever there are androids their memory starts from the time they r made...and making decisions wldn't depend on their past memories...
    but rather a deliberation of the situation at at hand nd choosing the most appropriate action for the situation rather than the person(android)...
    anyways too many specualtions...lets see wht happens..
    keep blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete